Mr. Golden is a senior partner and co-founder of the firm and has been both a practicing lawyer and a real estate developer and businessman. Prior to the formation of the firm, he served as a partner and head of the real estate practice group in the San Antonio office of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, LLP for more than 15 years. Prior to that, Mr. Golden served as executive vice president and general counsel to a privately-held real estate company that developed a 5,000-acre planned community in San Antonio, owned and operated a water company, and acquired, developed and sold residential, office and retail projects throughout Texas. He also served as president of another San Antonio-based real estate company and was responsible for the acquisition, development, finance and sale of numerous retail and office projects. In addition, Mr. Golden has also served as president of a movie theater company involved in the acquisition and development of multi-screen theater projects in various parts of the United States. He began his legal career as a real estate lawyer with the firm of Matthews & Branscomb (later succeeded by Dykema) where he left as a partner in 1984.
DETAILS OF PRACTICE
Mr. Golden primarily represents sophisticated private, public and institutional parties in the acquisition, development, leasing, financing, operation and sale of all types of commercial properties, including retail, industrial, office, multi-family, hotel and resort properties. He also regularly negotiates and drafts complex organizational agreements for limited partnerships, limited liability companies, corporations and joint ventures, as well as economic development agreements. He and the firm serve as primary outside real estate counsel to H E B Grocery Company, LP, the largest privately-owned supermarket company in the United States, for which he is regularly involved in the negotiation of lease, acquisition, partnership, development and reciprocal operating and easement agreements; and to the industrial logistics division of USAA Real Estate Company, LLC, for which he and the firm are regularly involved in the negotiation of acquisition, partnership, lease, development and development management agreements.
Representative transactions include:
- Represented H-E-B in the acquisition, development and/or lease of grocery stores and shopping centers throughout Texas and Mexico.
- Represented USAA Real Estate Company in the acquisition, leasing, development, financing and sale of multiple new bulk logistics facilities totaling in excess of 55 million square feet and $4.5B throughout the U.S. and Mexico.
- Represented institutional real estate investor in the acquisition of multiple portfolios of single-tenant retail facilities totaling over 200 stores located throughout the United States.
- Represented Bexar County Performing Arts Center Foundation in acquisition, development and construction of the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts in downtown San Antonio.
- Represented developer in acquisition, redevelopment and leasing of 27-acre historic Pearl Brewery into mixed-use facility, including residential, retail, office and hotel uses.
- Represented Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation in redevelopment of 75-acre former World’s Fair site.
- Represented San Antonio Economic Development Corporation in numerous economic development agreements with companies bringing new businesses to San Antonio.
- Represented national development company in development of 1000-room convention center hotel.
- Represented retail shopping center developer in the sale of 50% ownership interest in its properties to a New York-based investment fund and the formation of a retail development company to own and develop retail shopping centers throughout Texas.
- Represented Texas-based institutional real estate fund in development agreement with national retail developer to acquire, lease, develop and sell retail properties throughout the United States.
- Represented owner of 3,000-acre residential and golf course resort development in formation of partnership with real estate fund and development of resort hotel and conference center.
- Represented land development company in acquisition and development of 2,000-acre parcel, including construction of golf course and club and subsequent sale of the development to a national resort development company.
- Represented owner of 2,500 multi-family units in acquisition and development of properties and subsequent merger with national multi-family REIT.
- Represented consortium of financial institutions and investors in financing of resort hotel and PGA golf complex.
- Represented NYSE company in acquisition and redevelopment of former regional mall into corporate headquarters.
- Represented national mall developer in acquisition and development of regional malls in Texas.
- Represented national entertainment company in acquisition, development and/or lease of multiple venues throughout the United States.
J.D., St. Mary’s University, 1978, Phi Delta Phi, Associate Editor St. Mary’s Law Journal
B.A., Political Science, Tulane University, 1985
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Texas — Real Estate, Probate and Tax Section
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Real Estate Council of San Antonio
Mr. Golden is listed in Who’s Who in America, The Best Lawyers in America (2010 and 2017 Lawyer of the Year – Real Estate Law San Antonio) (Woodward White, Inc.) and Texas Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters)
MR. GOLDEN HAS REPRESENTED
- Barshop & Oles Company
- Birnbaum Property Company
- CBL & Associates Properties, Inc.
- Cook Inlet Region, Inc.
- Darren Casey Interests,
- Embrey Partners,
- HEB Grocery Company, LP
- Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation
- Hixon Properties, Inc.
- Horseshoe Bay Resorts,
- House of Blues
- JP Morgan
- Marathon Real Estate Company
- New York Life Insurance Company
- Rackspace, Inc.
- San Antonio Economic Development Corporation
- Silver Ventures
- Slate Real Estate Partners
- Trammell Crow Company
- USAA Real Estate Company, LLC
- Weston Urban